BIS Certificate for Import custom clearance of Sealed Secondary Cells/Batteries Containing Alkaline Or Other Non-Acid Electrolytes For Use In Portable Applications to India
The government of India has made BIS certificate mandatory for certain items including electrical, Toys, electronics products, LED lights and few electronic goods for customs clearance for goods imported from China or other countries. This has a wider implication on future imports to India after 6th May 2015.
The product certificate scheme of BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) provides quality assurance certification and use of ISI marks to producers who confirms to the quality standards mandated by BIS
The BIS Product Certification Scheme is open to manufacturers in all countries without discrimination. Any business entity foreign or Indian is free to apply for a BIS certificate by following their certification and licensing guidelines as follows
- Indian manufacturer can apply for the grant of BIS license under the simplified scheme by furnishing test reports of samples tested by the approved laboratories followed by a field visit by BIS staff to the applicant’s factory. The license is granted within 30 days once field visit and test reports are found satisfactory and meeting BIS standards
- Indian Importers are treated at par with Indian manufacturers provided they maintain a fully equipped laboratory to conduct tests confirming to BIS standards.
- Procedure for granting BIS license to a foreign manufacturer is little more complicated and the full process can be viewed by clicking this link
Do I need a BIS certificate for importing from China/Overseas?
BIS certificate is not country dependent and it is not needed for all products. Items for import under mandatory BIS certificate are notified by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) vide their notification that can be viewed here.
Currently, food products, wire & cables, cement, electrical household appliances, dry cell batteries, steel tubes, medical equipment, automobile tires, and few electronic products are covered. LED lights (self-ballasted type) for general purpose lighting and fixed LED fixtures are included in the mandatory list with effect from 6th May 2015.
What is Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)
- Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has notified “Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012” on 3 Oct 2012 for fifteen categories of electronics items. Another 15 product categories were added by MeitY under this order on 13 Nov 2014.
- Another 13 product categories were added by MeitY under this order on 23 August 2017.
- Ministry of New and Renewal Energy (MNRE) has notified products under Solar Photovoltaics, Systems, Devices and Components Goods (Requirements for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2017 dated 05th September 2017.
- As per the Order, no person shall manufacture or store for sale, import, sell or distribute goods which do not conform to the Indian standard specified in the order. Manufacturers of these products are required to apply for registration from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) after getting their product tested from BIS recognized labs.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) then registers the manufacturers under its registration scheme who are permitted to declare that their articles conform to the Indian Standard (s).
- The registered manufacturers are then allowed to use the words “Self declaration – Conforming to IS …(corresponding Indian Standard number) along with R-XXXXXXXX(Registration number) and/or put the Standard Mark notified by the Bureau.
- Compulsory Registration Scheme is operated under Chapter IVA of BIS Rules 1987.
How to custom clear goods falling under mandatory BIS certificate?
In addition to the normal customs clearing process, all shipments requiring BIS certificate should have a “self-declaration” printed on each specific commodity itself and external product package. A valid self-declaration must have the registration number of the product and IS (Indian Standard) number allotted.
The failure of proper compliance of BIS registration processes will result in Customs clearance delays into India.
I am planning to import Products from China. What process needs to be followed for compliance with BIS while importing from China/Overseas?
Most of the Chinese factories are aware of European or American product standards. Those holding such certificates would be capable of getting BIS certificates using a bis consultant in India. A guideline for application is here. If you cannot find a supplier who is willing to apply for BIS certificate, then it is importer’s responsibility to apply for BIS certificate. Currently, BIS certificate is mandatory for products.
There are no anti-dumping duties or another special licensing requirement for import products from China. In addition to meeting BIS certification compliance, an importer has to file.
- Bill of Entry (BE)
- Commercial Invoice
- Packing Lis
- Insurance cover note
- Bill of Lading / AWB
- Country of Origin certificate
- Price list, product catalogs and the copy of purchase order or contract may be required by the customs department, but it is not mandatory to submit these initially while applying for import clearance.
Products are covered under Compulsory Registration Scheme for Electronics Goods Mandatory registration Electronic, IT, Solar, PV Goods
- Amplifiers With Input Power 2000w And Above
- Automatic Data Processing Machine
- Electronic Clocks With Mains Power
- Electronic Games (Video)
- Electronic Musical Systems With Input Power 200w And Above
- Microwave Ovens
- Optical Disc Players With Built In Amplifiers Of Input Power 200w And Above
- Plasma/Lcd/Led Televisions Of Screen Size 32″; And Above
- Printers, Plotters
- Set Top Box
- Telephone Answering Machines
- Visual Display Units, Videos Monitors Of Screen Size 32″ And Above
- Wireless Keyboards
- Cash Registers
- Copying Machines/Duplicators
- Passport Reader
- Point Of Sale Terminals
- Mail Processing Machines/Postage Machines/Franking Machines
- Power Banks For Use In Portable Applications
- Smart Card Reader
- Mobile Phones
- Self-Ballasted Led Lamps For General Lighting Services
- Dc Or Ac Supplied Electronic Controlgear For Led Modules
- Power Adaptors For Audio,Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus
- Power Adaptors For It Equipments
- Fixed General Purpose Led Luminaires
- Ups/Invertors Of Rating <= 5kva
- Sealed Secondary Cells/Batteries Containing Alkaline Or Other Non-Acid Electrolytes For Use In Portable Applications
- Indian Language Support For Mobile Phone Handsets
- Recessed Led Luminaries
- Led Luminaires For Road And Street Lighting
- Led Flood Lights
- Led Hand Lamps
- Led Lighting Chains
- Led Luminaires For Emergency Lighting
- UPS/Inverters Of Rating <= 10kva
- Plasma/ Lcd/Led Television Of Screen Size Up-To 32″(inch)
- Visual Display Units, Video Monitors Of Screen Size Up to 32″(inch)
- Cctv Cameras/Cctv Recorders
- Adapters For Household And Similar Electrical Appliances
- Usb Driven Barcode Readers, Barcode Scanners, Iris Scanners, Optical Fingerprint Scanners
- Smart Watches
- Crystalline Silicon Terrestrial Photovoltaic (Pv) Modules (Si Wafer Based)
- Thin-Film Terrestrial Photovoltaic (Pv) Modules (A-Si, Cigs And Cdte)
- Power Invertors For Use In Photovoltaic Power System
- Utility-Interconnected Photovoltaic Inverters
- Storage Battery